Floor Sanding and Polishing (Coating) Options
After sanding your timber floors we will apply the finish which you choose. Choose from the 3 options below. We can do all three, but we recommend Option #2 – UV Hybrid. The quote we send you will show you the cost of sanding your floor and the coating you choose. Any questions? Check out the FAQs on our homepage or give us a call on 0438 777 561.
Floor Coating Options Explained
Your first option is a natural coat. It is water-based, 2K duo polyurethane. You can choose either a matte or a satin finish. It is Natural SR-5, it offers standard durability and is cheaper than Option 2 and 3. The only disadvantage is that it has a softer more, subtler finish so it’s not as durable as the others.
The second option is UV Hybrid. It is our most popular option because it is cheaper than Option 3, but double the strength of Option 1. It includes two coatings of Option 1 and a final coating with Option 3, making it SR-10 Family Grade durable. It is still cured with UV like Option 3 so you can move in immediately (Cured at the speed of light – literally!). We recommend this option for most people because it is a great balance between cost and durability.
If you are looking for the best option, this is it. UV Rush is a commercial-grade finish. It comes in a modern Matt/Satin finish. It’s Commercial Grade SR-15, offers triple durability and you can move in immediately because it is cured instantly with industrial UV lights. It is the toughest, most scratch-resistant coating for timber floors today. No other coating can compare to this. If you want the best, you have found it. It ticks all the boxes. Its natural, non-toxic, has no smell and is hard as nails. It does cost a little more though.
Our Floor Sanding Process
After the old floor coverings are pulled up (you can do this to save money), we punch and fill the nail holes. Now we are ready to start sanding.
- Floor sanding starts with a coarse angle cut with the Galaxy floor sander to remove excess dirt or build up & bring the timber floor back to bare timber. They repeat this step with medium grade sandpaper angled back the other way.
- Then your timber floor requires a medium grit Trio to get the floor 30% flatter than belt sanding alone.
- We then use a fine sandpaper on the Galaxy in the direction of the grain to remove any cross-grain scratches.
- The next cut is with a fine Trio to remove any chatter marks left by the drum sander.
- To finish, FLOOR uses an Australian Polivac and an American Square Buff to finely finish the timber floor.
- We then apply the first coat , which is a quick dry, timber sealer.
- The 2nd coat usually is a non toxic, natural water based coating.
- The final coat is a Super tough, commercial grade, UV Cured Polyurethane. See UV Hybrid UV above.
This delivers better results every time.